Modwright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition
We Take Trades! | Questions? Call 303-653-6341 or email us.
Tracking through Radiohead’s newest album, A Moon Shaped Pool, the sonic landscape painted by ModWright’s entry preamplifier is impressive – even after I’ve just removed a big-bucks preamplifier from a system consisting of a CJ LP125sa+ power amplifier, the dCS Rossini DAC featured on our cover and my reference GamuT RS5i speakers, all cabled with Cardas Clear. Yep, this $2,900 preamp is getting the job done in good company. - Tone Audio Magazine
New Record Day Video of PH 9.0, SWL 9.0 SE & KWI 100SE
For the person who demands high performance without the 5 figure pricetag usually associated with it, we offer you the Modwright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition.
Celebrating 17 years in business, Modwright has brought back the component that started it all with the SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition. It is based on the original Modwright product of their own design. The 5687 tube preamp features a similar aesthetic to the original, as well as similar price.
The new SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition features:
- A high quality integral headphone amp
- Home Theater Bypass
- Remote volume control
- Optional phono preamp
- A new power supply design and analog stage
The result is exceptional sound at the reasonable price of $2900. It represents everything that we loved about the original SWL 9.0SE and MORE! Proudly Hand Crafted in the U.S.A.
First of all, this thing is heavy! With a total of 3 high quality transformers and a very thick steel chassis, we were shocked that this was a sub $3000 preamp that was made in the USA. The front faceplate is a thick aluminum plate as well. Machined to a gorgeous yet understated finish that Modwright is known for. The new power supply is robust and quiet.
The SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition is classic Modwright, with excellent tone, dynamics and musicality. Read more in my full review of it on Tweek Geek Speek.
Sound of the Headphone Amp
Sennheisers faired very well on this headphone amp. We loved the HD-700 with this pre. The sound was wide open and smooth.
- Four sets of RCA inputs, one of which doubles as Home Theater Bypass.
- Two sets of RCA Main Outputs. Adding a powered subwoofer is easy.
- One set of RCA Tape Outputs.
- Front panel controls: Power, volume, mute, input select, HT/BP select, headphone input.
- Hybrid headphone amp: 1.5 Watts (25 ohm to 600 ohm load)
- MWI remote: Volume and mute.
- Optional MM/High Output MC SS phono stage ($300).
- Tube Complement: (2) 5687 driver tubes (may also use 7044/6900/7119 and equivalents).
- Gain: 11dB
- Input Impedance: 30K
- Output Impedance: 800 ohms
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 100Khz
- Max Output Signal: 20V
- Distortion: .03% THD
- Noise: -110dB
- Dimensions: 17W x 12D x 4.5H
- Weight: 28.5 lbs (35 lbs shipped)